Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Holler Design




Hailing from Lascassas, TN Matt Alexander runs a pretty remarkable shop dedicated to the honest craft of creation and design as seen through the lens of simple, but not simplistic artifacts.  Matt gave a pecha kucha style talk at the Nashville Creativity Summit on February 9th, 2013 where he focused on enabling creativity and streamlining the process to find the space and place to do that creation.  

Matt's talk on Saturday at The Skillery's Nashville Creativity Summit dealt with ways that someone could focus on being creative, I enjoyed the way that his slides echoed the moves that he makes with the furniture, simple clear and direct!  I will admit to both using and breaking his rules regarding creativity!  The common sense approaches to generating lists, doing things that can be done quickly immediately, and focusing on the overall hit home.  Also clever was something that I have noticed before, being alone.  I have noticed personally that taking a long drive or run allows me to drift away from a thorny problem and lets my mind attack it from a side path that I hadn't noticed before.  It was enjoyable to see him pair that up with being with others, finding those people that can help you pay attention to chances that you may have missed.

Matt gave a really great talk in a very limited amount of time that was packed with sound advice.  It left me wanting to know more about his work and his process, in the small amount of time that I have spent I have been even more impressed! As an architect I truly appreciated the time and care that he gave to the production of the furniture and implements shown on his website, they have a genuine quality to their lines and joints.  Again, simple details and elegant connections come together in graceful pieces.  I have quickly realized that I am going to be spending a lot more time studying Matt's work and following up with him to see what he is creating.

Holler Design can found at their website or on Twitter @hollerdesignTN.  I encourage you to check out their work!

doodle bag productions - nashville

No comments:

Post a Comment